Two Ohio Legislature House Bills (HB 79 and HB 190) became law in 2007 which place new requirements for background checks on all school employees.
Get more information regarding ODE's requirements.
What is required?
All school employees must have both an Ohio background check and a FBI background check at the time of initial employment and periodically thereafter.
Who is affected?
- Educators, including Substitute Teachers, applying for a new license or renewing an existing license must undergo both an Ohio BCI background check and a FBI background check at the time of the initial application or renewal.
- Two year and five year licensed educators, including Substitute Teachers, will complete both background checks when they renew their licenses.
- Professional teaching certificate holders, including eight–year, permanent, and permanent non-tax, must have both the BCI and FBI checks completed by September 5, 2008 and every five years thereafter. This also applies to Substitute Teachers.
- All non-licensed school employees must undergo both the BCI and FBI background checks by September 5, 2008 and every five years thereafter. This provision does not apply to school van and bus drivers.
Where and how do I get the background checks?
The Ohio Department of Education requires that both background checks (BCI and FBI) be completed through the National WebCheck electronic system, which is available here at the Summit ESC.
- Ohio BCI - $26.00
- FBI - $35.00
- Both - $61.00
Payment may be made in cash (exact amount required) or check payable to the Summit ESC.
Employees of the Summit ESC: Ohio BCI - $22.00, FBI - $24.00, Both - $46.00
- Please call to schedule an appointment.
- Tuesdays 1:00 pm to 3:15 pm
- Thursdays: 8:00 am to 11:30 am
Please make sure you have your valid driver’s license with you at the time of your appointment.
Other sites are available for the background checks. Contact your local school district, neighboring school districts or another Educational Service Center for availability of WebCheck. You may also go to the WebCheck community listing at http://www.ag.state.oh.us/business/fingerprint/data/index.asp. Be sure to verify that the location has capability to do both the Ohio and National WebCheck transactions.
For those having their fingerprinting done elsewhere...
Tell the agency doing the fingerprints, to complete the section on the form that asks where you want the results sent by checking Teacher Certification.
Non-licensed staff members:
Tell the agency doing the fingerprints, to complete the section on the form that asks where you want the results sent by checking Mail To Transaction and entering "Tracie Collins, Summit ESC, 420 Washington Avenue, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221."