The Summit Educational Service Center maintains a Certified Substitute Teacher list for several districts throughout Summit County. To place your name on the list, the following items are required:
- Criminal Record Check
- We require substitutes to present current copies of the BCI and FBI fingerprint check results. If you have not been fingerprinted within the past 12 months, we offer fingerprinting services using the WebCheck electronic fingerprinting system. Fingerprinting is done by appointment only! Please contact 330-945-5600 or 330-926-3918 to schedule your appointment. The fee for both is $61.00 (payable by check, money order or exact cash). If you have current checks, but cannot obtain hard copies, you will have to have them redone as well.
- Photocopy of VALID State of Ohio teaching or substitute teaching license. If you are not currently licensed, please refer to the following instructions...
- The Ohio Department of Education is no longer accepting paper applications for ANY new or renewal licensures as of January 1, 2014. This includes full teaching licenses, as well as substitute licenses (long and short term) and Educational Aide Permits. Please be sure to upload your certificate to your Applicant Tracking application.
- During the application process, please choose Summit County Educational Service Center as the "District". If this is your first time applying for a License or Educational Permit, you will also need to provide a copy of your official transcripts (front and back) to ODE (you may scan and upload).
- If you have not done so already, you are highly encouraged to sign up for a SAFE account to track your application progress.
ODE Licensure Application
Questions regarding substitute licensure may be directed to Lori Johnston.
- Online application through Applicant Tracking (formerly AppliTrack)
- Original set of college transcripts showing a Bachelor’s Degree conferred. Note: You can use a copy stamped "issued to Student" to upload to your AppliTrack application.
- Three (3) reference letters
- Completion of the SubOrientation and SubSkills courses
(You will receive notification if this is a requirement based on your experience and/or district preferences)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
Please print. Complete page 1 on your own. Bring completed page 1, along with blank page 2 and 3 to be completed during your scheduled meeting with Lori Johnston. Make sure you have your two forms of government issued identification with you. Note: Photocopies of ID's will NOT be accepted.
- Fraud Reporting Information
Please read the information regarding the State of Ohio Fraud Reporting laws and hotline announcements.