Professional Development Domains
In order to renew your certificate/license, you must complete some combination of college coursework or professional development activities, all of which must focus on at least one of the following professional development domains.
- Subject Matter - Increase the knowledge of subject matter to create effective learning experiences for students or area of responsibility.
- Student Learning - Increase the understanding how students learn and develop to create opportunities for student academic development.
- Diversity of Learners - Increase the knowledge of the differences in how students learn and how to apply techniques to accommodate such diversity.
- Planning Instruction - Improve planning of instruction based on knowledge of subject, students and curriculum goals and models.
- Instructional Strategies - Improve the design and implementation of instruction that encourages each student to develop critical-thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Learning Environment - Improve the learning environment by encouraging active, engaged learning, positive interaction and self-motivation for all students.
- Communication - Increase the understanding and use of a variety of communication skills including verbal and nonverbal techniques, technology, and media to increase effectiveness.
- Assessment - Improve the use of formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate student progress or district progress.
- Reflective Practice - Analyze past experience and pursue individualized growth opportunities to improve professional performance for increased student learning.
- Student Support - Increase the knowledge of how to work with parents, family members, school colleagues and community members to support student learning and development.
- Legal Responsibilities - Increase the knowledge of legal responsibilities as it pertains to area of licensure and its impact on teachers, students and school districts.
- Financial Responsibilities - Increase the knowledge of school finance and stay current on the latest information important to the district.
- School Improvement - Increase knowledge on best practices, current research and requirements from the Ohio Department of Education.
- Leadership - Improve knowledge and skills in providing leadership and establishing goals and direction.
- Technology - Increase knowledge and skills in regard to the use of technology within the school environment.